Monday, April 26, 2010

Self improvement...


This is an odd thought for an April Monday but I have a bit of a thing for a brand new year and for the  New Year's resolutions that come with it.

I love other people's resolutions too and have the most fabulous friend who really sticks to hers. I don't see her that often but we normally get together over Christmas and New Year so I'm always sure to ask for a progress report and see what she's resolving for the coming year.  

A few of her resolutions stick in my mind. One was to learn to swim - I'd never realised she couldn't. She reminded me about a day ten years earlier when we'd dived off a yacht together and she'd struggled to get to shore. I'd no idea that day how scared she was.  She stuck to her resolution, got swimming lessons and now swims laps to keep fit.... impressive.

In December I asked her how she'd gone - and out of her wallet came 2009's list - tick, tick, no, mostly.

So I made a list this year although it took me until February to decide what should be on it. I wanted my resolutions to be specific and not just "do more housework" or "eat less chocolate" - although both of those should be  there!

  1.  I wanted to look and feel better physically by next Christmas. My youngest is now two so the whole "I've really just had a baby" simply doesn't wash any more.  We go back to our home state each year and I've been struck by how great some of our friends looked after twelve months of eating better and exercising. . I know - simple. Well, I'm doing it. Gym three to four times a week and much much less junk. So maybe that one will get a tick.
  2. Read more selectively. Read books that don't immediately appeal and stop reading eleven crime fiction books in a row because I liked the first one.  Read the books on our shelves that my husband loves. Pick up random books in the library and give them a go. Do not read trash. This resolution is a work in progress.
  3. To say yes much more to the boys. I feel as though I am failing spectacularly on this one. But tomorrow is a new day and there's always next year. 
By the way, the photograph is of the beautiful Wineglass Bay at Freycinet on Tasmania's east coast. A lovely, lovely part of the world to make resolutions.

3 comments:

  1. I think that is such a fantastic idea Ann. And the fact that you've really taken the time to think them through will make it easier to accomplish. I think I might need to have a think and make some of my own too. thanks for the inspiration and have a great day!
    Jxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful post. You're not alone either Ann, I struggle with those things (maybe not the book thing, although I'm usually so tired I fall asleep after a few pages). Every day I wish I'd said yes more to the girls. They are 2 and 4 and I struggle to meet their needs, the house stuff, my husbands needs, my own needs and then teenage needs on the weekend. It's not easy but I think the only way to do it is to let some things go. I have to accept that the house won't be painted and finished all at once, I won't get all the clean washing folded and in the drawers every day, the house will never be as clean and tidy as I would like it to be, etc,. etc,. Isn't it amazing how much better you feel when you do say yes and just dive in with them? The exercise thing is hard when you have little ones..I'm just starting pilates this week and hoping to squeeze some other kind of movement in too. I have no doubt you're going to tick yours off - it's on the blog now! Rachaelxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A most spectacular photo of a beautiful place. Yes, a perfect one to make resolutions. I think people often "over reach" with their resolutions and set themselves up for failure by doing so. But yours sound doable and very modest. I wish you the best with them all!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to write, Ann x

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails